What is IronWifi?
IronWifi provides cloud-based RADIUS server instances and Captive Portal that allows companies to authenticate and authorize network users without having to maintain RADIUS servers. IronWifi manages all of the technical details, from scaling the infrastructure to real-time analytics.
Our goal is to make it as easy as possible to add reliable, scalable authentication, authorization and accounting to your network so that you can focus on building the core features of your product.
Who is IronWifi for?
IronWifi is for anyone that needs to authorize users before letting them use the network, whether it’s WPA2-Enterprise authentication or Captive Portal. We process millions of requests each month, so we can handle your requests regardless of volume.
How Does It Work?
RADIUS is an industry-standard protocol for providing authentication, authorization, and accounting (AAA).
Authentication is the process of verifying user’s identity and adding some extra information (characteristics) to the user’s login session.
Authorization is the process of figuring out if the user is permitted on the system and controlling network access based on defined security arrangement.
Accounting is the process of creating log files that record session information utilized for billing, usage control, and system diagnosis.
During the Authentication process, typically three components are involved:
- Client’s device
- Wireless Access Point (router)
- RADIUS authentication server
- Client’s device sends connection request to the Wireless Access Point
- Router establishes encrypted connection to the RADIUS server using stored Secret key
- RADIUS server sends challenge to the client’s device
- Client’s device responds to the challenge using defined authentication method and stored credentials
- RADIUS server verifies provided information and provides a temporary session key
- Client’s device can now use obtained session key to communicate on the wireless network